West Nusa Tenggara (NTB) is an area which has potential marine, agriculture, livestock and forestry resources which has not fully utilized yet. In order to fully utilize the resources and keep the environment still in minimum impacts of the industrial advancement, Human Resources (SDM) which Master the Science and technology dealing with the natural and biological resources are needed. One of the efforts to realize it is through the educational process to produce graduates who master their respective fields.
Currently, Faculty of mathematics and Natural Sciences (Unram FMIPA) has 4 study programs, those are; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics.
Biology Study Program
Biology Department is one of FMIPA study programs aimed to create a higly qualified human resources (HR) on biotechnology and marine biology fields. Biology department has formulated some objectives to be reached, and they are:
1) To produce a highly qualified graduates with knowledge of Wallace’s area distinctiveness;
2) To implement a quality and competent research in the field of Biology with Wallace area distinctiveness;
3) To apply the knowledge obtained in field of Biological with Wallace area distinctiveness to help the society;
4) To give contributions in biology developing process both in national and international level.
Leading Research. Biology Department lecturers at FMIPA have conducted research at international level as follows:
1) Functional Group of Spiders in Cultivated Landscape Dominated by Paddy Fields in West Java, Indonesia;
2) Potency of Rhadophyta as Carageenan-Producing Macroalgae;
3) The Effect Several West Nusa Tenggara Seaweeds on Growth and Yield of Tomato (Licopersicumesculentum L);
4) Plant Usage for Skin Healing Disease by Traditional Javanese People;
5) Mapping of Marine Plant Distribution in North Coastal Area of Sumbawa Regency Using ALOS AVNIR-2 data;
6) Diversity of Seaweed in West Nusa Tenggara and Its Potency;
7) Diversity of Seaweed in West Nusa Tenggara and Its Potency;
8) The effect of West Nusa Tenggara Several Seaweeds on Growth and Yield of Tomato (licopersicumesculentum l);
9) The effect of Macro Algae Extracts on Germination and Growth of Several Legume Species;
10) A Study of MakroInvertebratabentik diversity as an indicator of Jangkuk rirer’s water quality . West Nusa Tenggara;
11) Skreening of Antibiotics Producing Actinomycetes at Salt Lake-Northern Gili Meno of Lombok;
12) Potency Test of seaweed potency in West Nusa Tenggara as the basis of natural skin protection material development
13) Diversity of Seaweed In West Nusa Tenggara and its potency.
14) Consortium of anti molluscs plants
15) Consortium of anti-insect plants
16) Consortium of microalgae for biodiesel production.
Chemistry Study Program
West Nusa Tenggara (NTB) is a province which rely on the agriculture, mining and industries sectors such as tourism (ecotourism and marine tourism), textile and handicrafts as the income source. In order to accelerate the regional economic development based on natural resource management, it is very necessary to have professional and highly qualified human resources who are able to manage natural resources wisely, which not only concerned on the aspects of production, but also concerned about sustainability of natural resources itself. Concerned on the foundation of economic development NTB sectors, in the future, this area will need professional human resources in the mining sector or in the other hands, human resources who have chemistry base, beside other basic science knowledges.
To realize the visions and missions, the Chemistry study program of Mathematics and Natural Science Faculty Unram has settled the a purposes of education as follows:
1) To produce professional and qualified graduates who are able to compete both in regional and national levels
2) To produce graduates who are able to explore a potential local natural resources
3) To be able to follow recent development in chemistry and apply it to increase society quality of life
Leading Research. Some excellent researches which have been done by the lecturers in Chemical Study Program include:
1) Silver Award “Invention Exhibition of New Invention, Techniques and Products 2005, Geneva, Switzerland”;
2) Brilliant scientist, 2005 “Ministry of Higher Studies”
3) Silver Medal “in Reka Exhibition Notices, Investigation and Innovation Putra Malaysia University, 2003;
4) Gold Medal “Invention and Research Exhibition 2002”;
5) Bronze Medal, the Exhibition Notices, Investigation and Innovation Putra Malaysia University, 2005.
Mathematics Study Program
Unram Mathematics Faculty of Mathematics and Science Study Program directed to create a human resource (SDM) with a concentration in the field of quality basic sciences, especially Mathematics. To support this, Mathematics Faculty of Mathematics and Science Study Program Unram has set the goals of education as follows:
1) To produce graduates who are professional, qualified and able to compete at both regional and national levels;
2) To produce graduates who are able to explore the local natural resource potential
3) To be able to follow the development of mathematics and can apply it to improve people’s lives.
Leading Research. Lecturers in Mathematics School of Mathematics and Science Study progran Mataram University have conducted some researches include:
1) Mathematical Model Determination of the Maximum Area of Deforestation which allowed to Maintain water intensity in the Forest;
2) Analysis of the Economic Policy of Earth One Million cattles Using Leslie matrices;
3) Design Parameters of Herbs with Taguchi Methods.