Milestones of Unram Faculty of Agriculture
Based on the Minister statement of PTIP on November 3 ,1962 in Mataram No.:139/1962 officially established the existence of a State University namely the University of Mataram (Unram) which consists of three faculties, namely:
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Animal Husbandry
In this regard, it instituted Ir. Sudarmanto (SPMA Mataram Director) as Chairman of Opening Preparation Unram Faculty of Agriculture. The lecture and lab were fully done in the building of State SPMA Mataram because at that time Unram hasn’t had its own building. The activities began on January 20, 1967, and the establishment was officially inaugurated based on Unram Presidium decree No. 20/03/IC/1967 on January 27, 1967 commencing on January 1, 1967. Subsequent to January 1, defined as the anniversary of Unram the Faculty of Agriculture.
For the first two years of the Faculty of Agriculture in a row led by Ir. Yosef Yusuf and Ir. Umarsono Imanwiredjo, then Ir.Sumarjo periods subsequent to 1979, Ir. Tjitrihardjono Suharto (1979-1986), Ir. Ama Norberth Ngongu (1986-1992), Ir. Mansur Ma’shum, Ph.D. (1992-1995) and followed by Ir. Sudarmadji Rahardjo, MS (1995 – 1998) and reappointed for ( 1998 to 2002). The next period (2002 – 2005) Ir. Parman, Ph.D., and Ir. Sudirman, M.Sc., Ph.D. in (2006 – 2010) and Prof. Ir. M. Tahir, M.App.Sc., Ph.D. in the period 2010 to 2014.
In the development and construction of Unram Faculty of Agriculture on May 10, 1969 signed the Charter of Cooperation (Affiliate) with the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Gajah Mada (UGM). The cooperation is the realization among other things, assist senior faculty as a lecturer from UGM Faculty of Agriculture, grant permission for students to learn Unram Faculty of Agriculture in order to obtain direct guidance in the research and thesis writing. Then in 1986 renewed cooperative relationships with the implementation of the issuance of the letter of cooperation between Unram the Faculty of Agriculture and UGM the Faculty of Agriculture.
In 1971, Unram Faculty of Agriculture has occupied a new building located on the campus of the University of Mataram at Pendidikan Street. To provide opportunities for the fresh graduates of the Faculty of Agriculture to continue their education until full, then the faculty opened a doctoral degree in 1976.
Since its foundation until the year 1979 using the Semester Package System, while for the academic year 1980 using Credit Semester System.
Full time lecturers at Unram the Faculty of Agriculture in the academic year 2011/2012 is 176 people by the number of students enrolled is 2393 people. From 1966 to 2012 Faculty of Agriculture, has graduated 5682 students.
The vision of Unram Faculty of Agriculture is to realize that international competitiveness in the development of sustainable farming systems in 2025. The vision is based on key values (core values) which are adhered to in carrying out any activities of academic and management, the quality, integrity, creativity, and vision for the future inovation.
Mission of Unram Faculty of Agriculture is to conduct education, research, and community service through the development and application of science and technology in agriculture to support sustainable agriculture, so as to meet the needs of qualified human resources and agricultural products and superior technology.
Agriculture is the implementation of the work of man to nature, especially plants and animals, in order to obtain optimum yield in order to meet its needs. The agricultural science is the science that study the farm with all its problems.
To run the mission and to realize vision above, the purpose of Unram Faculty of Agriculture:
- Increase the availability of academic facilities and infrastructure that support the improvement of the quality of learning.
- Produce the competent graduates who are characterized by staff who are skilled, competent, independent, character, entrepreneurial, and responsive to the development of science and technology in agriculture.
- Develop and discover the science and technology in agriculture.
- Disseminate and apply science and technology on society to support sustainable agricultural development.
- Establish and develop cooperation with other local, national, regional, and international.
To Achieve the goal of Unram Faculty of Agriculture, the targets are to be Achieved:
- Improve the quality of the learning process in accordance with standards established by the government.
- Improve the quality of graduates that can be accepted by the labor market at national, regional, and international.
- Improve the quality of research and reproduce the received IP packet technology.
- Improve services to the community in the form of dissemination and application of science and technology.
- Increase the power of collaboration networks (networking) with stakeholders (stakeholders) in an effort berpartsipasi for agricultural development.
Department and Study Program
In the implementation of academic and academic administrative functions, at the Faculty of Agriculture at the moment there are two departments, namely: Agriculture Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Department. To produce graduates who have expertise in various fields within the scope of Agricultural Sciences, Unram the Faculty of Agriculture currently offers four study programs are coordinated under the above two majors. Studies program under the Department of Agriculture: Agro-Technology and Aquaculture Study Program. Program under the Department of Socio-Economic Studies in Agriculture: PS – Agribusiness and Forestry Study Program.
Agribusiness Study Program
Agribusiness Study Program at the Department of Social Economics of Agriculture Faculty of Agriculture University of Mataram is the result of the merger of the courses that have been there before, namely and Agribusiness Study Program, Agricultural Extension and Communication Study Program. Therefore, Agribusiness Study Program has two studies of interest, namely:
- Interest in Agriculture Study
- Interest in Counseling Study
The Objective of Agribusiness Study Program:
- Produce graduates who have the competence to analyze, plan, implement and develop agribusiness activities.
- Produce graduates who have the creativity and scientific integrity in the field of agribusiness.
- Produce graduates who have the communication skills and attitudes that uphold honesty, fairness and truth.
- Produce graduates who are competent and creative in managing and developing agribusiness.
The expected competences by Unram Agribusiness Study Program Faculty of Agriculture are to create graduates who have the following competencies:
1) Agribusiness Manager.
Able to manage natural resources, human and social capital to improve the operating efficiency of the agribusiness system, Able to work within a multidisciplinary team, has an understanding of business ethics of environmentally sound agriculture.
2) Agribusiness Employers.
Able to design and development efforts of innovative agribusiness unit, creating a value-added and environmentally friendly, able to identify and manage opportunities, risks, and uncertainties in agribusiness.
3) Community Development Facilitator and Instructor.
Having sensitivity to the issues related to social and cultural development of Agribusiness; be able to formulate the strategies, methods, and resources used to enhance the community capacity on face the future agribusiness development challenges; be able to facilitate the dialogue within and between groups of agribusiness stakeholders to support the process of formulating and sustainability of policy involving public participation; researchers, agribusiness consultants, be able to think analytically and synthesis in Agribusiness Management; be able to effectively negotiate and communicate with stakeholder in the Agribusiness Development.
Cooperation. The cooperation conducted by Agribusiness Study Program as follows; Economical Behavior and Empowerment of The Poor National Strategic Research Grant 2009 Development at Around Forest Mount Rinjani Lombok; Reconstruction Model of Indigenous Food Institution on Troubleshooting Vulnerable to Food and Malnutrition in Lombok West Nusa Tenggara (National Strategic Research Grant 2009); Eaglewood Commodity Value Chain Development For Poverty Reduction Efforts in West Nusa Tenggara (Competitive Research Grants Under the 2009 National priorities).
Lecturer. Agribusiness Study Program supported by 53 of teaching staff qualified as; 2 professors, 13 doctoral and 38 magister with quite varied expertise fields as follows; Agribusiness, The Costal and Marine Elementary School Management, Natural Resources and Environmental Management, Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, Agriculture Economic, Extension Agriculture Development, Community and Family Nutrition Resources, Regional and Rural Science Planning Development, Rural Community Development, Communication Science, Agribusiness Management, Agricultural Extension, Rural Sociology.
Research. The lecturers of Agribusiness conducted of several researches as follows; (1) Designing of Efficient Integrated Farming System and impact to Sustainable Social Economic Levels Improve in Family Farmers; (2) Society Poverty Reduction Model of Participant Dry-land Farming Conservations on Gold Mine Zone Lombok; (3) Poverty Alleviation in Lombok by organize profitable multi of Micro Financial System; (4) Cattle Farmer Empowerment on the framework of increasing meat production in 2010: Participatory Action Research Application in Lombok West Nusa Tenggara; (5) Critical Study of Poverty in West Lombok: An Action Research Approach Application in the efforts of Community and Environmental Protection; (6) Maize Development Strategy in West Nusa Tenggara; (7) The Model Analysis of Household Food Security Program and The Connection with Poverty Alleviation in Plateau of Bima West Nusa Tenggara.
Facility. Agribusiness Study Program provides several facilities in sustaining students’ comfortable in teaching learning. It covers; classrooms supported with computer and LCD, Agribusiness and Communication Laboratory, Library provided of several books such as Indonesia-English Textbook, Scientific Journals, Scientific Magazine, Brochure, and TOEFL Guide.
Job Prospect. The Alumni of Agribusiness Study Program Agriculture Faculty University of Mataram are absorbed in several institutes and field of business such as Government and Private agency, Entrepreneur, Extensions, and Consultant which is spread across Indonesian.
Agroecotechnology Study Program
Agroecotechnology Study Program was officially established based on the decree of National Education Minister No. 176/0/2001. Based on the provision evaluation of education in Unram Faculty of Agriculture, it is necessary to attempt a merger between the existing study programs in order to efficiency of the implementation in the local community college. So, 5 Study Programs that are Agronomy Program, Soil Science Program, Plant Pests and Diseases Program, Horticulture Program, and Plant Breeding Program has been accredited B except the Soil Science Program Accredited C, has been merged into Agro-eco-technology Study Program. It was stated on the decree of Directorate General of Higher Education No. 1790/D/T/2009 October 5, 2009 about the merger of the Agricultural Sector Study Program.
Evaluation is conducted in order to obtain the accreditation status determined by The National Accreditation Board for Higher Education (BAN-PT). Unram Agro-eco-technology Study Program has compiled a SWOT description of each component according to the manual in order to analyze and development strategy. Agroecotechnology Study Programs attempt to compile the information based on the data of supporting objective program, facilities, infrastructure, and achievements to obtain of quality used as a reference of development and maintaining. Indeed, it is important to gain the confidence of providing education accordance with the recognition and quality assurance assigned by BAN-PT.
There are several competencies of Agro-eco-technology as follows: to produce the graduates with the capability of analyze, concerting, implement, and develop the activities of Cultivation Technology and Environmental Agricultural Cultivation Management; to produce the graduates with creative and scientific integrity in the field of Cultivation Technology and Environmental Agricultural Cultivation Management; to produce the graduates with competence and creative capability in Farms Management and Development; to produce the graduates with teamwork capability accordance with its competences.
Cooperation. Agroechotechnology develops some cooperation with various institutions, those are: (1) Julich Research Centre, Germany and BPPT on biotechnological Innovative Strategies to Produce High Value Indonesian Agarwood and Aolfactorie Active Compounds; (2) Rentak Timur SDN BHD, Malaysia on Research and Development and Commercialization of Plantation and Processing of Eaglewood; (3) The Director General of Land Rehabilitation and Social Forestry, Ministry of Development of Forestry Eaglewood Development Center; (4) The Sorong District government regarding with development of Eaglewood in Sorong Regency, (5) Cooperation with the ACIAR Australia; (6) Cooperation with the Massey University New Zealand, (7) Cooperation with the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry for Research and Technology, as well as several private companies nationwide and overseas.
Marine Aquaculture Study Program
Being a leading study program in the field of marine aquaculture, particularly in the area Nusa Tenggara in 2020.
- To conduct a high qualified education in the field of sustainable aquaculture.
- To conduct and improve the quality as well as cooperation in the field of research which focused on the marine aquaculture.
- To organize the public service activities through the spreads and applications of science, technology and management of aquaculture.
- To produce a competent graduates who are spirited entrepreneurship in the field of aquaculture.
- To produce research that contributes to the development of science and technology of marine aquaculture.
- To disseminate and apply the science and technology particularly in marine aquaculture which sustainable to improve the welfare of the community.
Forestry Study Program
“Forestry Study Program as an institution of higher education that excels in forestry development and application of science and technology (IPTEK) and produce a competent human resources and having a good moral in the sustainable management of forest resources (sustainable forest management).”
- Conducting the education, research and public service in the field of forestry which emphasizes the principles of transparency, accountability, and optimization with based on moral values.
- Organizing the cooperation with various agencies to support the implementation of Higher Education Tri Dharma.
- Developing a best practices in applying IPTEK and share learning in the management of forest resources.
- Developing self-reliance efforts in supporting the Tridharma activities.
- Producing a competent human resources and able to participate in the management of forest resources.
- Producing IPTEK in the field of forestry that support sustainable development in regional and national levels.
- Applying IPTEK as the result of forestry education and research to support sustainable development in regional and national levels.
- Developing partnership in the implementation of education, research and public service.
- Developing an innovative and replicable models of forest resource management which appropriate to the local characteristics (NTB) as a medium of education, research and service.